Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Breakfast Sausage Patties

Good evening everyone.  Hope that everyone out there is doing well and having a really great evening.  I know that I am feeling better today so all is well and I am ready to tell you about what we did today.

We are still in Healthy Foods so some of these things may not sound too good but I have to tell you that they all turned out very nice and tasted very good (with the exception of the Seitan).
Culinary word of the day:  ylang-ylang  (E-lahn-E-lahn)

Breakfast Sausage Patties
Today, we started out making about a 50 gallon stock pot of chicken stock and then we went on to our regular tasks and the first one was Breakfast Sausage Patties.

Breakfast Sausage patties

4 oz. minced onions
1 qt. Chicken stock
8 oz. raw long-grain white rice
3 lb. cubed pork loin
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 fl. oz. corn syrup

1.  In a medium sauce pot, sweat the onions until translucent in 2 fl. oz. of the stock.  Add the rice and 22 fl. oz. of the stock and bring the liquid to a boil.  Cover the pot tightly and cook in 350 degree oven until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, about 10 minutes.  Spread the rice on a sheet pan and chill completely in the refrigerator.
2.  Combine the port, salt, poultry seasoning, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a large bow..  Add the cold rice to the meat and grind the mixture through a coarse die into a bowl set in an ice bath.  Slowly stir the corn syrup and remaining 1 cup of cold stock into the meat mixture.

3.  Make a small patty of the sausage and dry saute to test for seasoning and consistency.  If necessary, adjust the seasoning with additional herbs and adjust the consistency with additional stock.

4.  Portion the sausage into 1 1/2 oz. patties.  Dry saute the patties and drain on absorbent towels.

 
Herb-Breaded Chicken
 So, myself and my gal-pal Angie did these Sausage Patties and I have to admit for a short time there we did not know what we were doing but by the time it was made I did understand the process and they turned out quite well.

Next up Angie and I made the Herb-Breaded Chicken ... we skipped the Creamy Mustard Sauce part.  Since we made the chicken stock the minute that we got there we had to do something with the chicken as it would not last over the long weekend that is coming up.  We have off an extra day so we needed to do something with the chicken so it wouldn't go to waste. 
Tortillas de Papas

Meaning for culinary word:
A large tree native to the Philippines (Cananga odorata); the oil made from its flowers has a strong, flower like aroma and bitter flavor and is used in soft drinks, ice cream, confectionery and baked goods.

Next and last up for today we made a Tortillas de Papas.  I was not very involved in the making of this as other team members were working on it but to me it sort of looked like a giant omelet with some unusual things in it.  Some of them were red potatoes, onions, artichokes, roasted red peppers, roasted yellow peppers, parsley, thyme, 20 egg whites and 10 whole eggs and goat cheese.  I did not taste any of this dish but as you can see it looks quite delicious.

So for me that is all for today.  I have a very exciting couple of days coming up and I need to get ready for them.  I am going to have a visitor and I am so very excited about it.  My son and his new wife are coming to stay 3 days with me over this Holiday weekend ... yea!  I still have school tomorrow (only bookwork day, so not too bad) and then after school I will be busy ... and then when I wake up he will be here.  I can't wait to see him and his new bride.

Have a really wonderful evening and I will check in with you again tomorrow when I get home.  Signing off for now from 1HappyChef.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment