Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gluten Free Bread and Healthy Soups

Good evening to everyone out there. 

Today in school we (team 1) made Blueberry and Yogurt Soup, Wheat Berry Salad, Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread, Delicious Homemade Gluten-Free White Bread and last of all Roasted Poblano Chilies and Corn Soup.  This soup was wonderful.  I do have a couple of pictures that I will enclose you you can see for yourself at the end of this post.

It was suggested to me in a meeting yesterday that maybe I should put a recipe or two now in then is the posts just in case any of you out there would like to try and make some of this stuff yourselves.  I am not sure I would try the bread unless you have already seen this process as it doesn't look anything like regular bread when you are making it ... it is very soupy/wet and it is made with yeast but you put it into the vessel that you will be baking it in and then you proof it and then also the baking time is a lot different.  The only thing to say about that is slow and low.  Regular bread is often backed on a high temp. for a much shorter time.

So, if I were to pick a recipe to put in this post ... that is a tough one ... I would pick the soup but I don't have a picture of either so I guess that I will go with the Cinnamon Raisin Bread, OK?


Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Swirled into a gluten-free dough, raisins and cinnamon combine to create a well-loved breakfast bread.  Finish the bread with a classic vanilla icing, or for an earthy sweetness, a warm honey glaze: either will enhance a bread that is sure to be a positive start to any day.

3 cups        Flour Blend #5
2 teaspoons   Salt
2 tablespoons Instant Yeast
1 cup         Sugar

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 tablespoon  Guar gum               
6 each        Egg Yolks
1/2 cup       Melted Butter
1 3/4 cups    Sparkling water
1 Cup         Raisins (dark or golden)
2 teaspoons   Cinnamon

Flour Blend #5 (strongest)

White rice flour   9 oz.
Tapioca starch     6 oz.
Soy flour, de-fatted  6 oz.
Whey powder        3 oz.

*Mix all together and keep in container ready to use.


Instructions for bread making:

 1.   Combine the flour blend, salt, yeast, sugar, and guar gum in a mixing bowl using a whisk.

2.   In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, butter, and sparkling water.  Blend wet into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

3.   Stir in the cinnamon and raisins gently to achieve a swirled or marbled effect.

4.   Scoop mixture into greased 8"x4"x2 3/4" loaf pans, filling about two thirds full.

5.   Proof the bread in a warm, humid environment for 40-50 minutes.

6.   Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven, with steam, for 45-55 minutes.

7.   Once the bread has risen to the top of the pans, vent the oven and continue baking for 8 - 8 minutes.  The bread should be firm at the center with an internal temp. of 200 degrees F.  If it is not the proper temp. bake for 5 minutes longer.

8.   Remove from oven and un-mold into cooling racks.


For the record this is not my recipe but for the life of my I can not find out who's it is either ... but I do not take the credit for it.  I will take the credit for making it and for how wonderful that it tasted, enjoy!

So, if anyone out there has any ideas about posting or not posting the recipes please let me know.  It is a lot more time consuming but if you like it I will keep it up once or twice a week.  Let me know what you think in the comment box ... I will be waiting to hear from you.
 
Wheat Berry Salad .. very healthy for you!
So, for now I will be letting you go.  Have a really great night ... signing off from 1HappyChef.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment