Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Seitan

Seitan in the raw
Good afternoon all my fellow readers.  Sorry that I did not post anything yesterday but when I got home from school I did not feel well so I didn't even get on my computer.

Culinary word of the day:
yufka  (yoof-kan)


Seitan finished with soy sauce dip
I did however want to tell you about the Seitan and how it turned out when we were finished with it.   I think in the post before I got to the part where you soak the dough in a bowl covered with water for over 30 minutes and when you put it into a colander and you start kneading and rinsing until all of the starch is washed away and the water runs clear and it starts forming into a ball again (like regular dough would do).  Then we put it in the fridge over night and yesterday we made it into like little patties and marinaded them in a sweet and sour soy sauce that we made to go with it.  After it marinaded for an hour or so then we fried them on the flat grill until done through and diagonal sliced them on a platter and had the soy sauce for dipping. I don't care what anyone says ... it does not taste like or resemble any kind of meat that I ever had!

Yellow-fin Tuna w/Citrus Salad
Other things that we did yesterday were a Bouillabaisse (this being a fish stew with the following fish:  perch, halibut, sea bass, little neck clams, mussels, lobster, shrimp and  sea scallops). and we did a Spicy Asian Grilled Shrimp.  We also had to make our own 5 spice powder (szechuan pepper, star anise, cloves, cinnamon and fennel seeds) for our Grilled Shrimp.  Then we had to make a Grilled Yellow fin Tuna with Citrus Salad.  I like the Citrus Salad very much ... it tasted very fresh with grapefruit sections (pink and white), orange sections, blood orange sections, lime sections, and lemon sections.  And the spices that got mixed in the citrus were diced red onion, minced roasted jalapeno, black pepper and julienned fennel.

Meaning for the culinary word of the day:  Very thin, Turkish pastry dough; similar to phyllo dough and used to make sweet and savory pastries.

Well everyone that is all I have for now about yesterday.  It was a very interesting day as I don't like fish so much but I made it through and our stuff turned out very good.  So you all have a really wonderful evening and I will check in again very soon.  Signing off for now from 1HappyChef.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment