Friday, August 26, 2011

Special Credit ... Cakes

Hello everyone, I am not sure where to start.  The special credit class was wonderful and had a huge mixer full of the yummy butter cream ... so, I got my fix.   Kiki and I were on making the butter cream and that was a good thing because then it was very close to me ... the ingredients for it are unbelievable ... but it is very good.  First you take 2 dozen egg whites and mix it with 4 cups of sugar over a double boiler and whisk and whisk and whisk until you think that your arm is going to fall off and the sugar is dissolved and then you put it in the mixer with the whisk attachment and beat it for 10 minutes to cool it down a little and bring it to peaks.  When that happens you put in 5 lbs. of butter cut up into little pieces and 1 1/4 lbs. of sweetex (Crisco) and you beat it again for 10 more minutes and when it is done you are left with the best tasting butter cream ever.  I took several pictures of everything that I am sure you would like to see, I am just unsure how to place them yet until I am done writing.  

Culinary word for the day Simplesse

My cake

My cake is a chocolate chiffon ... cut in 1/2 and filled with chocolate ganache and then covered with the crum coat of butter cream and cooled in the cooler for 10 minutes and then brought out and finished with the butter cream final coat and then decorated.  Mine had two hand made roses on the top with piped leaves and a green border around the top and the bottom with Dorsey written in the middle under the roses.  It turned out very nice and it tasted very good.
This would not be a good cake to put in the PLM News letter as it would take too long and it is way to expensive to make at home.  And all of that butter and Crisco can not be that good for you, right?

The entire group from today
We had an indecent at school today that was kind of weird ... there was a stranger in the class and non of us knew who he was but that would not be unusual because there is the potential for students from 7 classes to come to these workshops so it was only a little strange and he had on a uniform and everything.  But come to fine out he sneeked in and pretended to be a student.  I have to tell you ... his cake was a flop and he could not decorate it.  I did not get a picture to show you but what I want to know is why would someone get up in the morning and just say ... hey, think that I will go bust in on a Culinary Class today?  Pretty nervy I would say ... I think that the guy who sneeked him in is in trouble.

Simplesse:  The proprietary name of a fat substitute made from egg and milk proteins and used in processed foods.

Well folks, that is it for me today.  It has been a long day and I am tired.  I think that I will relax the rest of the weekend and try and get my work done around my apartment.  I have let it go way too long.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend.  Enjoy yourselves and your loved ones.  Signing off for now from 1HappyChef.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment