Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Getting ready for Thursday Station Buffet

Chicken Kiev
Good afternoon all of my fellow readers.  Hope that you are all doing well today and that you are enjoying this really nice weather.

Fall is my favorite time of the year ... the smell of burning leaves in the air and all of the beautiful colors.
Tempura Veggies
More chicken, onion rings and hush puppies
Today in school we got our teams buffet instructions and once again all of this needs to be completed on Thursday at 11 AM.  So, I will admit to you right off the bat that today went a lot smoother for me.  I wasn't nearly upset and confused ... still a little mixed up on the menu (and our team is cooking Mexican and I am not familiar with that at all) but when I am done with this short and sweet post I am going to try and make some sense of it and see if we can stay ahead of the game and finish in a timely manor on Thursday.  I volunteered to be the sous chef today for the week ... I forgot what a headache that can be as I have not done that in awhile .... not since the first mod.  Anyhow, today it got done and I will do the best that I can for the rest of the week.

Also today we got our report cards form the MOD that we just finished and I got an 4.0 GPA and I went to school 320 hours ... all that there were to go.  I also got A and A in both classes CA104 and CA105.  So, for me this is very good news as I try very hard to do as well as I can ... I guess that I am doing that ... at least for now.
 
Also today we had something called something like a "deep-fry fest" and we were responsible for deep-frying two things to have ready to put out at 11:30 AM and our team did Chicken Kiev (it was very good) and tempura veggies. Chicken Kiev chicken is so good that it can't possible be good for you just because it is chicken.  I had 6 chicken breasts and I pounded them out pretty thin and then in a bowl I mixed 1 lb. of soft butter with jalapeno peppers chopped up and some parsley, thyme, tarragon and salt and pepper and then I rolled the butter into big logs and placed on one end of the chicken breasts and rolled them up then dipped them in flour and then in egg wash and then in the bread crumbs (that we homemade with bread that we made) and then you put them in the fridge to cool for a short time and then drop them into the fryer until crispy brown and then on a sheet pan and in the oven until done.  When I cut them in thirds to plate them you would not have believed how good the inside roll looked (and it tasted even better).  You can not see the inside the way I took the picture but we will be making it again on Thursday as that is part of our buffet so I will try to take a better picture then for you to see.  The tempura veggies are just a very thin coat of batter over any vegetable and deep-fried until a very light brown and the veggies are cooked through.

The plan for tomorrow needs to be reviewed and put into place so I feel as good tomorrow about school as I did today.  When you have a plan it always just seems to go a little smoother and makes the day a little bit easier.  
So, for now from 1HappyChef I will say good bye and have a great afternoon.  :)  PS>hi FP!

No comments:

Post a Comment