Sunday, September 18, 2011

Good morning, America!

Good morning, America!  I hope that everyone has a really great day.

As for me it will be a day to take it easy and get myself ready for the coming week.  Finals are always nerve racking and this will be NO different.

Culinary of the day word:  radish
I do however think that I am ready ... at least for the "practical" part of the exam.  I worked on my menu and presentation all day yesterday and what I didn't think of I keep adding with sticky notes as I think of them.

I am going to have the Sauerkraut Rye made into rolls, I am making Risotto, steamed peas and carrots, chocolate moose and for the meat I am going with poached chicken in a "some kind" of cream sauce for the finish.  Not only does it have to be done well and the right way it has to be presented on the plate as if you were serving it to a customer.   So, when you poach chicken it can remain quit white and sick looking so I was thinking to make it look better I would get some grill marks on it before I poached it.  I also was going to present it on the plate sliced thin and put it in a fan shape.  For the rice I thought that I would put it in some sort of mold to plate it and I am not too sure yet about the peas and carrots other that we will also be judged on our knife skills so dicing the carrots in 1/2" cubes will only help my score.  The rolls will be beautiful just as they are ... and the chocolate moose I thought that I would just garnish with a fresh mint leaf and maybe a couple of fresh raspberries.  Also on my main plate I will have some garnish (green leaves) and I will make a tomato rose for the "pop" effect.

And so that is what I am going for.  I found that I can make it and arrange it in my head all day but when it comes right down to doing it ... well, lets just say that you never know what will go wrong.  Maybe like not having the right ingredients and having to use something else .. something that you can't even visualize in your dish.  Happens all the time ... I will however get through it and I am going to do the best job that I know how.

I am more concerned about the 3 written parts of the finals.  I know that I know the stuff ... I have been living it for the past 12 weeks but it is still hard when you sit there and have to do it.  I will not let myself get all bent out of shape over this ... it will be what it is and I can't change that so I refuse to loose sleep ... well, maybe just a little.

Culinary word of the day meaning:  A member of the mustard family grown for it root (Raphanus sativus); generally, the crisp white flesh has a mild to peppery flavor and is usually eaten raw.

So, you all have a wonderful day and "Go Detroit Lion's"!  Take care from 1HappyChef.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment