Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake


Day 2 of my hurt hand
Good evening everyone.  Hope that everyone is doing fine.  I just want to tell you that me and my hurt hand went to school today and did everything and did not get any special treatment.  Just as it should be, although it was an accident I am so very grateful that it was not any worse than it is because "finals" are next week and I want to be able to get through the practicals and the written exam without any problems.  I have to go back tomorrow to the Dr. to make sure that it is still OK and then he will release me.  It was a very stupid accident and I will forever never take the stand mixer for granted ever again and I will give it all the respect that it deserves.

Culinary word of the day:  Ravigote, sauce (rah-vee-GOT)

Now on to more pleasant things: I did not make this personally but I wanted to share it with you as it was pretty good.  I know what you are thinking .... a "chick-pea) cake ... how good could that really be?  I was a little sceptial myself but after eating a piece of it it is something that I could eat if I were trying to eat healthy and still get my chocolate fix.  It did have a like sort of after taste to it ... I don't know if that is right but it tasted a little oriental to me ... do you know what I mean?  Well, here is the recipe in case you would like to try it for yourselves.
Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free!)

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake
(Gluten Free!)

Ingredients:

3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 (19 oz.) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
8 eggs
1 1/2  cups of white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.

Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl.  Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth.  If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50%. 

Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor.  Process until smooth.  Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend.  Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed.  Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pans.

Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated over, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.  Dust the top with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

This actually is a recipe from:  allrecipes.com and Derrick Miller made it in our class today.  Very nice Derrick!

Culinary word of the day meaning:  1. A cold French sauce made from a vinaigrette garnished with capers, chopped onions and herbs.  2.  A French compound sauce made from veloute' flavored with white wine, vinegar and shallots and finished with herbs; usually served with calf's head, brains and boiled fowl.

So for me a much better day today than yesterday.  I am just trying to get everything in order and ready for the intense week next week.  I am trying to plan the menu that I will use for my practical exams and well the written ones will be another day of worry.  I am going to make the Sauerkraut Rye buns for my practicals and I made them once again today to make sure I had the process right.

Have a very good night everyone and I will check in again tomorrow with an update on the days activities.  Saying good night for now from 1HappyChef.  :)  

You can now read the "blog" on the Oakland Press web-sight at:  theoaklandpress.com and then go to the blog tab and go down to the life tab and then scroll down the page to health/food and there I am about the 5th person down.  This is very exciting for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment