Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apple Strudel

Apple Strudel
Good evening everyone.  How is everyone doing tonight?  Hope that everyone are starting to get their electric restored and things are getting back to normal.

Culinary word of the day:                 xun (shoon)

For me at school today we are still on the tail end of the "Healthy Food" part of the program.  Today my team made Apple Strudel, the Strudel dough, Chocolate Crepes, and Wheat Carrot Pancakes.

It is not so easy making all of this stuff the "healthier" way as it doesn't cook/bake the same without the fat in it and the substitutions that we have been using for sugar.  Nothing is as it seems with healthy food, other than being healthier for you.  I personally think that a little fat and sugar will not hurt you.

Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to the Henry Ford Hospital in West Bloomfield to get a look at their kitchen.  I can not wait ... I can think of a whole bunch of questions that I am going to ask.  If I like the answers then maybe I will see if I can do my ex-ternship there with the HF people.  That is still 3 months off but it never hurts to plan ahead, right?

Meaning for Culinary word of the day:  A Chinese cooking method in which an ingredient, usually raw, is smoked with wood shavings (pine or poplar), tea leaves, sugarcane pulp and brown sugar and then steamed or deep-fried; the ingredient may be steamed or deep-fried before being smoked.

So to all the good people out there, I have to say good night for now.  It was a very long weekend and a very long day so I will be signing off for now from 1HappyChef.  Have a really great evening everyone.
More about the Field Trip tomorrow .. good night and take care!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment