Thursday, January 5, 2012

Croquembouche day 2

Good morning to all of my faithful readers out there.  This is day 2 with the progress with the Croquembouche ... I am not so sure that this is worth all of the hype and trouble.  I have had trouble at my apartment with appliances though so maybe that is why I am getting discouraged?

The guys (maintenance people) were knocking on my door this morning at 7 AM (because they thought that I would be up) to fix my washing machine which has been broken now for a couple of weeks .. they have been fixing it all along but the original problem never went away ... it leaked.  So, today they took the thing apart and the pump hose had a crack in it so they replace it and I thought (stupid me) that all was fixed and I was good to go ... wrong.

Yesterday I told you that I made 100 mini cream puffs for this croquembouche and last night I decided to make some a little bigger and to stagger them so I thought that it would look better ... so, since the guys were here working on the washer I got out all of the stuff and started to make about 48 a little larger cream puffs ... not so good.  I got the process down in my very small kitchen and today the process was much less messy and painful (trying to work in such small quarters).  I am moving right along and have them in the oven and they are not cooking ... 15 more minutes and they are not cooking ... 30 more minutes and they are not cooking and finally after 1 1/2 hours I got them done enough to use ... you know that they have to be completely dried our and puffy so they have those good holes in them to put all of that wonderful Bavarian Pastry Cream that I am going to make tomorrow.


This is not the first time with the oven not working here  ... it wasn't too long ago that they  they replace the thermostat on it.   But as it turns out this was a good thing that it decided not to work when they were here working on the washer.  I always feed these guys whatever I make and they always look forward to getting the good stuff so when the oven wasn't working right they got real concerned ... that was going to put a damper on what I could and couldn't make so they said that right after lunch they would bring me a new (5 years old) stove that I could try out. Now my day is starting to get better ... by this afternoon I will be up and running again ... until the next thing breaks ... but for today it is all good.  Way to go 1HappyChef ... I guess that the way to getting your appliances fixed is to always feed the maintenance guys?

So, I took some pictures of the "bigger cream puffs" that took 1 1/2 hours to back ... but hey ... it is all good now.  More to come tomorrow ... we will see what happen with the Bavarian Pastry Cream.  Maybe I just worry too much and nothing will happen?

I have to tell you all though that I am a happy camper now that I have decided to get busy again doing something everyday and not worrying about all of my aches and pains and what is going to happen.  This has been the happiest I have been the past couple of days working on this project.

Have a really great day everyone.  Good day for now from 1HappyChef.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment